Deacon Andrew Hetfield House
The Deacon has a new coat!
Mountainside’s historic Deacon Andrew Hetfield House recently received a new coat of paint and a changed color scheme, thanks to generous donations from the community during last year’s fundraising raffle. We think this old house (circa 1760) looks fabulous.
Originally constructed by Deacon Andrew Hetfield, circa 1760, this house was expanded in stages to meet the needs of the Hetfield family during their 186-year occupancy. By 1830, a simple colonial farmhouse had been transformed into a center-hall Georgian residence. Also known as the “Dutch Oven House,” this building has been moved twice, first to protect it from a Route 22 widening.
Used for a brief time as a tea room and antiques shop, the house was once rented to MacKinlay Kantor, author of the Civil War novel, Andersonville. The structure was saved from demolition in 1985, when it was moved a second time to another part of the original Hetfield property.
Since the house’s move in 1985 from Route 22 to its present location, the house has been owned by the Borough of Mountainside and maintained by the Mountainside Historic Restoration Committee for use as a museum and a meeting place for Mountainside residents.
Listed on the National and State Registers of Historic Places
Operated by the Mountainside Restoration Committee
• 19th-century Victorian-era bay window
• Recreated colonial kitchen
• Victorian parlor furnished with antiques
For Hours: mountainsidehistory.org or call (908) 789-9420
Photo By Josconklin – Own work, CC BY-SA 3.0, https://commons.wikimedia.org/w/index.php?curid=20996479