Abraham Clark Memorial House
Abraham Clark boldly demonstrated his support of the Revolution as a New Jersey signer of the Declaration of Independence. He was born in what is now Roselle on February 15, 1726 — the only child of Thomas Clark. He became a surveyor and studied common law. Clark and his wife Sarah raised ten children in their farmhouse, built in 1705.
The house burned in 1900, but a replica was constructed in 1941. The original house stood a short distance from the current site on what is now Crane Street, near Wheatsheaf Road, which was known as Springfield Road in Colonial times. The design of the house was based on old photographs and existing known facts from later owners and residents. The lot on which it stands was donated to the Abraham Clark Chapter of Sons of the American Revolution (SAR) by Mr. William M. Crane, and was a part of the original Clark Farm in the 18th century.
The Office of New Jersey State Society of the Sons of the American Revolution (SAR) is located here.
Operated by the Sons of the American Revolution
• Life and times of Abraham Clark, and history of Roselle
• Archives of the NJ State Society of the Sons of the American Revolution (SAR)
For Hours: Call (732) 221-7211 or (908) 245-1777.
Tours by appointment.