Edwin F. Hatfield and Samuel A. Clark, traditionally recognized in the 19th century as authorities in the early history of the Elizabeth
area, both credit Andrew Hampton (Hamton) as the original ownerbuilder of this building.
The earliest house on this site on the banks of the Elizabeth River was built in 1696 or 1697, probably by Andrew Hampton. The present-day structure of the Homestead-Parsonage is a well restored example of a Federal-style building. Portions of this house served as the parsonage to St. John’s Episcopal Church, in Elizabeth, from 1750 to 1875.
The Andrew Hampton Homestead – St. John’s Parsonage is an invaluable reminder of an earlier time. It is a significant part of the religious and secular history of Elizabeth and, indeed, in the history of Union County and New Jersey.
The St. John’s Parsonage building is now occupied by the Union County Office of Cultural and Heritage Affairs, Department of Parks and Recreation. It is a prime example of adaptive reuse of a historic structure.
Listed on the National and State Registers of Historic Places.
For Hours: ucnj.org/cultural or call (908) 558-2550
Photo By KForce at English Wikipedia, CC BY-SA 3.0, https://commons.wikimedia.org/w/index.php?curid=35085922