When two houses constructed at different locations during the 1840s were joined in the mid-19th century, the building, now known as the Salt Box Museum, was created. The house’s shape, with its steep, sloping rear roof, resembles the box in which salt used to be stored.
In 1967, the entire house was moved across Springfield Avenue to its present site. Today, the first floor is furnished to represent a typical New Jersey farmhouse of the mid-19th century. The Mason Room at the New Providence Library, 377 Elkwood Avenue, houses the Society’s collection of rare documents, maps, photographs and oral history tapes.
Operated by the New Providence Historical Society
• 1840s furnishings
• Dresses of the 1800s and 1900s
• Hand-woven coverlet
• Brewster clock
• Copper lustre tea set
• Hay wagon on lawn with farm equipment
For Hours: newprovidencehistorical.com or call (908) 665-1034
1350 Springfield AveNew Providence, New Jersey 07974United States