Twin Maples is a fine example of the suburban estates built in the Summit area from 1880 to 1920. This Colonial Revival–style structure built in 1908 was designed by Alfred F. Norris, a well-known New York and Montclair architect.
Erected with the finest materials and details of its time, its appearance resembles the White House in Washington, DC. The house remained privately owned until 1949, when it was purchased by the Fortnightly Club of Summit, a charity dedicated to community service and outreach, celebrating its 125th anniversary in 2018.
Gustav Amsink, reputedly the “wealthiest citizen of Summit,” was the first owner of Twin Maples. In 1918, it was purchased by Mr. and Mrs. Frederic N. Collins. Mr. Collins was known in downtown Manhattan as the “Sugar King” for his importing of sugar from the Caribbean. The Collins entertained extensively until Frederick’s death in 1947. Mrs. Collins sold Twin Maples to The Fortnightly Club two years later.
Listed on the National and State Registers of Historic Places
Operated by the Fortnightly Club of Summit, Inc.
Featuring:
• Open string staircase
• Wood-burning fireplace
• Steinway piano dating to 1907
For Hours: twinmaplessummit.org or call (908) 273-0301
Photo By Daniel Case, CC BY-SA 3.0, https://commons.wikimedia.org/w/index.php?curid=3160775

